19 November 2005


SEX in Democracy - I

The premise of premarital sex is not a just a substantiation of the west mindedness. It’s not something that has epitomized the 21st century. In fact it’s a conjunct of mind over matter, the libidos that drive a species called Homo sapiens. So, when one gushes through the issue of premarital sex, I look in disdain.

While checking with the dates we forget the most obvious part of it, checking the year. In a democracy the voice of opposition is the fundamental pillar. As Mahatma once said, “ Freedom is not worth having if it does not connote freedom to err”. We live every day with our values and beliefs, and if we are challenged we cry out. We take cover of society, cover of caste, cover of religion of the things that we find hard to digest. At the end of the day the moral stick is based on the norm of bully ness. We all live in an imperfect system, just that it is imperfect it is still running. So what if an actress or may be a star tennis player talks about what we call taboo. We have the answer, they should not have expressed their views and we are shocked and outraged. Going by Freud’s term every person is unique in his or her own respect. Are we too week as an individual? Are we too scared to be swayed with what some celebrities say? Rather the issue should be based on what we believe in. Its always is easy to shout at the neighbor rather than keeping ones own house in order. I’m not going to the merit of the discussion, what I intend to say is we obviously have every rite to show our disapproval on what we perceive offensive. But we must understand that in a democracy everyone has a view. Even a guy who scuffs at the Chief minister and leaves the portfolio is made the CM after 9 years that too in a state where since 25 years communism has survived. Its truly amazing to be in a country called India.

6 comments:

  1. It's Gud to take a middle approach and still being able to deliver the message. I know ur good at diplomacy, just that the MBA has refined you more. Good post buddy,and the post was very crisp. Looking fwd for your next part of the series. Actually whatever i know about you the next posting will be much harsh to realities, You are just making us loosened up. Your old tactics " Playing to the gallery". I hope you have mastered in that. Good post. Keep it up.

    Neha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm........ let me start as a critic. When i heard about the topic that you chose to blog about, i was quite surprised as it was not a very crisp one (an under statement i guess).

    Then when i was actually going through it i actually visualized you speaking about this topic in your usual dramatic way.

    The part about your style of writing , i guess is that you start looking for more as soon as you finish reading. I can't wait to read the next part.

    As far as India's politics is concerned only god can help, and talking about Bengal, god save these people from communism.

    All in all good that you blogged on this topic, it is one of my favourites. Keep it coming!!!!!!

    Laghu

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi samiran

    U took the middle path.. but i m taking one path. Premarital sex should now be considered as that bad. the one thing i dont like is the notion : do the crime but don't get caught. premaritial sex is [i m sure] not very uncommon these days. the thing is that it is hidden ... it shud be hidden too but don't take down someone because she accepted it or she just voiced for it.

    no i m not that lucky...:d meri to gf bhi nahi hai.

    And finally ...great piece of writing.

    1 query what is playing to the gallery. and samiran you should reply to comments yaar. last time tumne nahi kia :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    Though i don't have the habit of replying to the comments, I'd like to change that for some specific reasons. I find the comments posted by Laghu and Bhavesh are interesting to ask for a reply. As, far Neha is concerned; I don't know if the comment was for the blog or me. So I’m not tempted to say anything apart from, thank you for the comment.

    So Coming to Laghu, I 'd love to see you as my critic as it gives me more scope to correct myself. Though you said that it might not be a very crisp subject to write about, than visualizing me speaking. My friend, I'm glad that you have said like this, though I’d like to say one thing what I have been taught when I was in Standard 2, writing an essay about a "COW". I told we know everything about a cow, then how can we make it different. Madam replied, if you can imagine and write the facts and put words properly you can write about any dull thing. I don't to what extent I’m following her, but I still try.

    Well, Bhav the purpose of my Blog is not to take stance rather than to throw an open question to us all. And, I don't want to limit myself with taking an option if I were to leave the judgment to you. I respect your views on the subject, but my friend I would make you aware of two words that is privacy and secrecy. These are not interchangeable, I'm still not going to the "haves" or "haves not" of premarital sex. I only intend to say that, you have a viewpoint and it is correct as it is supported by choice of prudence rather than choice of conditioning. Sex is the most primitive instinct of Human species, and to call it a crime will again open the Pandora’s box of arguments and cross arguments, which I want to restrict myself in. You have to consider the environment remembering that Fornification Under the Consent of King might not be wholly accepted today, as it was mandatory in the Victorian age. Times are changing, and as long as people are happy with them and doesn’t cause a gross to public at large, who cares! Just that, we should desist from being the sole protector of our national culture. Remember we come from a nation that gave the world Kamasutra, now we are vandalizing the gift shops on 14th Feb.

    Is anyone listening?

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeah samiran ...the whole world is listening...this is ur magic after all.u use too many metaphors and something something...which sometime become abstruse for me. well may b only for me. but on the whole i got ur point this time.

    And Very correct...privacy and secrecy. but yar kisi ko itna bhi to tang nahi karna chahiye na. Media sania ke pichhe kyu pari hui. Someone correctly said that now a days news channels are more than news...so they have to make news. and this blame can be transfered to public but then also i wud disagree.
    Anyway... coming back to topic; most of the time writer shows his tilt towards a side knowingly or unknowingly. this time i was not able to decide which side u belong, well waiting for the second part .


    ~Voice

    ReplyDelete